Hybrid Power Plant in Faroe Islands Completed

Industry News – Wednesday, July 22, 2020

MAN Energy Solutions has completed the expansion of the Sund power plant near Tórshavn, the Faroese capital. With this, four MAN 9L51/60 engines have been successfully integrated into the islands' hybrid energy-system and will complement the existing power station with an additional 37 MW power generation, as well as district heating capacity.

The isolated energy system in the Faroe Islands is an example of how all available energy resources can be integrated into an intelligent and innovative microgrid.

To supply electricity to the almost 52,000 islanders, local energy supplier Elfelagið SEV relies on an intelligent combination of renewable energy sources, storage solutions and power-plant engines to ensure grid stability. The Sund power plant is the largest of the Faroe’s three engine-driven power plants. Besides these, SEV also operates other, hydroelectric power plants as well as several wind farms and energy-storage solutions.

From base-load security to intelligent backup

"The role of the Sund power plant has changed over the past few years. Today, it still serves to secure the base load, but it has also become an indispensable backup that compensates for weather-related fluctuations of renewable energies," said Dr Tilman Tütken, Head of Region Europe, Business Unit Power Plants at MAN Energy Solutions. "Our engines can increase their output at any time to compensate for power fluctuations and are throttled back when wind or precipitation conditions improve," added Tütken.

For more information, please visit: MAN Energy Solutions

The MAN 51/60 engines are intended to run at 80% load and thus to generate district heating with the remaining 20% serving as a variable reserve.
You are using an outdated browser

The website cannot be viewed in this browser. Please open the website in an up-to-date browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.